History of Muddavaddi

by Joe Fernandes, with Fr. Nascimento Mascarenhas and Emily D’Souza

[May 1993]

In the Etimos das Aldeias by Canon F X Vaz in Oriente Portugues (1916 and 1920) MUDD’AVADDI means hamlet on the mound or knoll. It is interesting to note that Mudd’avaddi is called Dactembatta. It is also called Sucalbattulem. St Anne’s chapel documents of 1876, the earliest baptism register of the Nagoa Church and the map of Saligao designed by Joao Salustino de Souza in 1923 all indicate the ward of Mudd’avaddi in the village of Saligao, Goa.

Temple in Mudd'avaddi, Saligao, Goa. Pic by Frederick Noronha

Temple in Mudd'avaddi, Saligao, Goa. Pic by Frederick Noronha

The earlier inhabitants of this ward of the village of Saligao must have been Sevai or Shenvi. Hence people also refer to this ward as Xinvaddo. In the Predio Balla lies the CHAPELA DE SANTA ANNA. The brook which runs from the Comunidade of Saligao building through the ward divides this ward into two: Dactti Mudd’avaddi and Vhoddli Mudd’avaddi. Some names of the properties of Mudd’avaddi are Predio palmar called Quiterachem batta, Palmar called Sutcarvaddo, Modvacho Patto, Sucabattulem, Predio Maponga, Dosscapatteachem palloum, Poriato, Sitareachem batta, Chittarachem batta, Dovornem, Gorbatta, Anxetta, Predio Temrem, Motiachem batta, Palmar Muddavaddi and Palmar Batta.

The chapel of St Jerome at Dactti Mudd’avaddi in Saligao was erected on 25th June, 1729, and rebuilt probably by Fr. Jose de Jesus Maria Marques in 1771. The chapel of St. Jerome was attached to his house. The Marques family (originally Fernandes) were descendants of Antonio Marques, gauncar of Chorao and Maria de Mendonca (1668).  It has also jono of Saligao. The culacharins and the interested (os interressados) by exigencies of various services were later on called to share in the interests of the association. They were all inhabitants of Ilhas except Fernandes and Marques of Saligao, the only outsiders (estrangueiros). The culacharins are Brahmins and of full zonn (dividend) like the gauncars. The culacharins receive the zonn like gauncars at the age of 14. The Marques and Fernandes families belong to the 10th vanngod of Saligao Comunidade.

The Fernandes families of the Comunidade of Saligao celebrate the feast of St Bartholomew on 24th August in the chapel of St. Anne. There are other Fernandes families who belong to the 12th vangodd. The Fernandes families of the 10th vanngod of Saligao comunidade are thus the claimants of double zono i.e. of Saligao and Chorao.

In the house of the late Professor Filomena D’Souza of Mudd’avaddi, classes were conducted and students appeared for 1ro and 2do grau in Portuguese. She was assisted by the late Fr Caetano Maria Rodrigues of Cotula.

Most of the wards in Saligao have their small chapels, but not so Mudd’avaddi, because the main St Anne’s Chapel is situated in Mudd’avaddi itself. However, the ward is dotted by nearly a dozen crosses. At these crosses in the month of May, the neighbourhood families celebrate the cross feast which comprises rosary and litany, as in other villages of Goa.

The Saligao Post Office, Comunidade building, fish market, and shopping centre are situated in Mudd’avaddi. After Liberation, the Panchayat office, community hall, offices of Health, Electricity and the Bank of India have all been located in Mudd’avaddi. The first rice mill was started around 1923 by Graciano D’Souza, but closed down in the early nineties. At present there is a rice mill run by Shri Bonvondas situated along the CHOGM road for the last 50 years. Saligao Sporting Club has its premises in Mudd’avaddi and the Adarsh Club also functions from this ward of Saligao.

Like most of the villagers in Goa, the people of this ward were mainly agriculturists. Paddy was grown during the monsoon and vegetation during the dry season. Saligao has been famous for its sugarcane plantations, which also served as dens for foxes. It thus gave the villagers the name of Saligaoche Kole. There were plantations of sugarcane in the fields adjoining the wards. The juice of sugarcane enabled the production of by-products such as jaggery, belio and vinegar. The juice was extracted by crushing the sugarcanes by means of a local mechanism called ghanno. The sale of these products in the ghats brought prosperity to the villagers of Saligao.

The village sportsmen did not lag behind in sports of their choice. It would be tedious if one attempted to mention all the sportsmen who have brought laurels to this village of Goa. The three wards attached to St Anne’s Chapel have provided their share in this field of people famous in Goa.

FOOTBALL: Felix D’Souza, popularly known as “Porque“, was a well-built and powerful man who kept goal for the village eleven. The Fernandes brothers – Bento, Marshall and Felix – played with their cousins Brig. George de Souza and the late Jack, for school and college at Nagpur. Casmiro and Juliao D’Mello added strength to the village team.   The late Casmiro and Joe Fernandes were solid in defence. Paulito, Maurico and Blasco made a good combination. The late Herbert and Sunny Rodrigues were prominent footballers. Playing barefoot were Mahadev and Dormo.

HOCKEY: The late Dr Eric D’Mello played hockey in Bombay and captained the famous Club of Goans in Bombay known as “The Lusitanians XI”. The late Leandro Fernandes played regularly for the Lusitanians of Calcutta for the Beighton Cup.

BADMINTON: Agile and sprightly, Joe Fernandes from this ward in Saligao village was an outstanding player in badminton and was the individual champion for many years in the Kenya open tournament at Mombasa.

BOXING: In the thirties, when Goans were not attracted to this sport, Caetano Rozario Fernandes, known in boxing circles as “Cajirose”, was a popular pugilist. The late Casmiro Fernandes was a good boxer in East Africa and encouraged the sport when he came down to Saligao.

CRICKET: Brig. George de Souza, the late Marshall, and Felix Fernandes were good cricketers in school and college. Oscar Fernandes played cricket overseas and is at present the local authority on the game.

BODY BUILDING: This is a new sport on the Goan horizon. Dayanand Harmalkar is an established body builder, winning various titles at the local, state and inter-state level. He has brought fame to Saligao and Goa and the various trophies are a testimony to his ability.

The late Minguel Arcanjo Remedios was a renowned teacher of piano and violin. He started a music shop in Calcutta and his descendants have music shops in Bangalore and Margao.

Some musicians of Mudd’avaddi, Saligao, Goa:

  • Francisco D’Souza – Violinist and bandmaster of Saligao band.
  • Caridade D’Souza – Flautist
  • Santano Gabriel Vaz – Violinist and composer. He had a music school in his house in Saligao and composed the popular hymn “Santa Ana Amchi Mai”
  • Manuel Salvador Coutinho – ­Double Bass
  • Augusto Fernandes – Euphonium
  • Benedicto Fernandes – Violinist
  • Luiza Maria Fernandes – Vocalist
  • Sebastiao Jose D’Souza – Vocalist
  • Roque Fernandes ­- Violinist
  • Blasio Fernandes – Violinist
  • Melchiades Fernandes – Pianist.

DOCTORS: The late Dr Vito Fernandes, Dr Robert Marques, Dr Maisie Fernandes, and Dental Surgeon Dr Ismail Fernandes of Hyderabad.

ENGINEERS: The late Cyriaco Jeronimo Pinto, Maurice Fernandes, Rufino Cordeiro, Anacleto Fernandes, Kenneth Coelho.

BUSINESS: The late Jose Fausto Fernandes of Hyderabad, Louis Remedios of Bombay and John Remedios of Calcutta.

[This article was first published in the Souvenir of the 150th Anniversary Celebrations of St Anne's Chapel, in May 1993].

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>